Sunday, September 12, 2010

Welcome to the world, Madelyn Elizabeth Dozier!

Surprise! No sooner did I declare my expectations of a precise arrival on her due date, did Miss Madelyn decide she would be calling the shots from now on. And so begins a new life -- for her and her parents -- and we are thrilled to share the exciting news with you all.

Madelyn arrived at 1:05 p.m. on Friday Sept. 3, 2010. A modest 6 pounds 2 ounces, our "little one" lived up to her nickname. However, when you consider she made her grand entrance almost 4 weeks early, I can only imagine she would have been a good sized baby if she made it to her due date of Sept. 29!

Now for the details (so stop reading now if you don't care to know!)

All day on Thursday I had been feeling a little off. I woke up that morning to find that I had lost my mucous plug (or so I thought), and I determined it was a non-event. After re-reading all about what that meant, I decided she may actually arrive earlier than I expected, but pegged her to be only a week or so early. I just knew I had more time to prepare and didn't sweat it. I went to work as usual, had a productive day, and even a lovely lunch with my mommy friend Kira. That evening, I came home to find that Scott had to take a call for work, had pasta (by myself) and settled in for the night. But still, something wasn't quite right. Scott was still working as of 10:30 -- if his bosses are reading this, thanks a million -- and something inside me felt the need to get my personal items together for my hospital bag. So I spent some time gathering toiletries (just in case) and opted for a nice shower. I even shaved my legs -- a rarity these days, but something compelled me to do it. Afterwards, I headed to bed and divulged in some trashy TV while I waited for Scott to join me. I suppose my daughter will have a good laugh that her father and I were watching the last five minutes of Jersey Shore when my water broke! So classy... I know.

Well, I did not keep my cool. Pretty much flew off the handle. Thank goodness Scott is so laid back and was able to counter-balance my insanity. We called the doctor, and despite my best efforts to convince her that I wasn't ready to have this baby and didn't really need to come in, we found ourselves franticly packing our bags for the hospital. We were ready in an hour flat, and on the road to Rex. We managed to pack everything on our lists, but for the record, you don't need half of that stuff! I'd seriously like to know who has the time or energy to read a book while in labor -- dumb suggestion from the list gods!

We checked in around midnight and the triage nurse confirmed the obvious -- my water had in fact broken and I was dilated 3 cm and in labor! The fabulous part -- apparently labor and delivery was at maximum capacity that night. Funny, considering my ONE question while on the hospital tour was 'what is the likelihood you won't have room for us when we get here' and their reply was 'that never happens!' Apparently women go into labor in droves when there is a hurricane approaching, and it just so happens Earl was threatening the North Carolina coast that same night. They suggested something about the pressure dropping can cause your membranes to rupture, but I'm not sure I believe that. After finally getting a room of our own, we settled in for what was sure to be a long night.

I spent a little time braving things without any medication, but quickly found that was not the way to go. An anesthesiologist with the personality of a cactus became my new best friend when he gave me a half-assed epidural that only took 100 percent to the left side of my body. Somehow, I didn't seem to mind this (until the very end) and was able to get a few hours of sleep though the night. Anyone who tries to do this without the drugs is crazy in my opinion! Due to my lopsided epidural, transition hurt, but luckily it was over before too long and was time to push. And I never expected pushing to be such tiresome work -- they don't call it labor for nothing! I seriously felt like I was running a marathon, and since I am such the non-athlete, that was quite the challenge.

Scott was a wonderful coach through the whole ordeal, and I certainly couldn't have made it though the tough times without him by my side. In the end, we were holding our beautiful baby girl, and all the stress, anxiety, pain and lack of sleep were well worth it. I will never forget that Thursday night and the hours leading up to Madelyn's birth -- it was an amazing experience and a true miracle. I am in awe of how precious life is and what the human body (and mind) are capable of. It was hard work, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Our baby girl is perfect in every way, and I cannot wait to share her with the world -- she is such a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment